Government Grants

  • Home
  • Government Grants

Government Hearing Aid Grant Scheme

Services to help with hearing loss are provided through the HSE by audiologists, general practitioners or consultant ENT (ear, nose and throat) surgeons.

Hearing aids help to amplify sound, making it loud enough for you to hear. If you have a medical card or belong to the eligible groups mentioned below, you can obtain your hearing aid free of charge. If you do not have a medical card, North West Hearing Clinic can supply you with a hearing aid to suit you. 

Services can be provided free of charge to certain people, including:

·     Medical Card holders and their dependants

·     People with Hepatitis C who contracted the disease through the use of blood products within Ireland and who have a Health Amendment Act Card

·     Preschool children and national school children referred from child health service and school health service examinations


If you do not have a medical card, the Treatment Benefit Scheme will cover you and your dependent spouse if you have enough social insurance contributions for some ofthe cost of hearing aids.

Treatment Benefit Scheme

The Treatment Benefit  scheme is a scheme operated by the Department of Social and Family Affairs. Under this scheme, contributions made by people to the national social insurance fund are paid back to fund the cost of certain health benefits.

These health benefits include dental benefit, contact lenses, optical benefit and Hearing Aids. The Department of Social and Family Affairs will pay up to half the cost of a hearing aid or repairs to a hearing aid, subject to a fixed maximum contribution.

Applying for Treatment Benefit

You must satisfy certain conditions regarding payment of PRSI in order to qualify for Treatment Benefit. You must apply to the Department of Social and Family Affairs for approval by completing the appropriate application form.

For more information on the Treatment Benefit Scheme, contact your local Social Welfare Office or go to

  • Treatment Benefit Section
 Department of Social and Family Affairs,
St. Oliver Plunkett Road,
Co. Donegal.
Telephone: LoCall 1890 400 400 (Ext 44480) (From Republic of Ireland only) 
Dublin (01) 704 3000
  • You can get information booklets and application forms from your local Social Welfare Office or on the Internet at or by telephoning the Department's LoCall Leaflet Request Line at 1890 20 23 25.
  • Citizen's Information Centres 
LoCall: 1890 777 121 
Monday to Friday, 9am-9pm 
  • Irish Hard of Hearing Society (IHHA) 
35 North Frederick Street 
Dublin 1
Tel: (0)1 8723800 
  • Irish Deaf Society 
30 Blessington St 
Dublin 7
Tel: (0)1 8601878